These sources provide access to
cost-free and open source scholarly materials in
international studies topics.
• The Bielefeld Academic Search Engine is "one of the world's most voluminous search engines especially for academic open access web resources,... operated by Bielefeld University Library [in Germany]... [with] more than 60 million documents from more than 3,000 sources," many in international studies topics. About 75 percent of the documents are available free in full-text.
• CORE (COnnecting REpositories)-- "Aims to facilitate free access to scholarly publications distributed across many systems... gives you access to millions of scholarly articles aggregated from many Open Access repositories." Many international studies articles are available, in full-text. Use the "refine your search" option for best results.
• DART-Europe-- "Partnership of research libraries and library consortia who are working together to improve global access to European research theses." Through this interface, a "single European portal for the discovery of electronic theses and dissertations," you can access in full-text over 400 thousand open access research theses from over 500 universities in 27 European countries.
• Directory of Open Access Journals-- Provides free access to more than 1.7 million articles in thousands of scholarly journals from over 130 countries. Use the advanced search option.
• Google Scholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research... to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web." Many international affairs sources are included. Particularly good for finding open access, free, and recent items. For search technique tips, see the Google Scholar Blog and the Research Buzz article "Google Scholar and the Full-Word Wildcard."
• The International Relations and Area Studies Gateway, or IREON, funded by the German government, "offers free available bibliographic references, full-text documents and international treaties on foreign and security policy, international cooperation and development policy, European politics and transatlantic relations, regional and country studies worldwide, foreign cultural policy, climate, environment, [and] energy." Publications in many languages are included.
• IPSA Portal-- "The portal of the International Political Science Association and an official online IPSA publication. Hundreds of useful, rich and qualitatively outstanding websites for political science are selected, reviewed and evaluated by IPSA in order to provide scholars and students of the discipline worldwide a useful tool for online research." IPSA also posts an open-access, searchable Permanent Online Paper Room of tens of thousands of papers from its international conferences since 2006.
• Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations-- "International organization dedicated to promoting the adoption, creation, use, dissemination, and preservation of electronic theses and dissertations." Provides a worldwide directory to find online electronic theses and dissertations.
• OAIster-- Accessed here through WorldCat, "a union catalog of millions of records representing open access resources that was built by harvesting from open access collections worldwide... Today, OAIster includes more than 25 million records representing digital resources from more than 1,100 contributors," including many free full-text items in international studies topics. Use the advanced search option for best results.
• Open Access Theses and
Dissertations-- "Index of over 1.6 million
electronic theses and dissertations... [mainly] records of
graduate-level theses that are freely available online,"
including many on international topics.
• OpenDOAR- From the University of Nottingham, UK, "an authoritative directory of academic open access repositories... As well as providing a simple repository list, OpenDOAR lets you search for repositories or search repository contents."
• Open Thesis is a "free repository of theses, dissertations, and other academic documents, coupled with powerful search, organization, and collaboration tools."
• The Social Science
Open Access Repository posts a "steadily growing
collection of full-text social-science documents which you
can access freely," in many languages, obtained both by
professional self-postings and "through
co-operation with institutes, scientific
associations, publishers and editors." Many of the
documents are in international studies topics.
• The Social Science Research
Network "is devoted to the rapid worldwide
dissemination of social science research and is composed
of a number of specialized research networks in each of
the social sciences." Many thousands of academic and
research institute papers are available for free download,
including in international studies topics.
"is a global science gateway comprised of national and
international scientific databases and portals [which]
provides real-time searching and translation of
globally-dispersed multilingual scientific literature."
Powerful search facility provides bibliographic citations
and availability information for a huge number of
scholarly science and social science publications in many
languages. Some are available in cost-free, full-text form.
For most effective results, use the Advanced Search
option and consult the "Help" section.